Re: The integrity of data

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 05/18/04-06:13:40 AM Z

P.S. It may be difficult for many people here, who have come up through
art departments and been infected with a lot of postmodernist nonsense
about science and truth and reality and evidence and epistemology and
social constructivism and whatnot, to even fathom why I would care so
much about data. To put it simply, you guys have been sold a shoddy bill
of goods. The truth is that data matter; they matter very much, and we
ignore them at our peril. There either are or are not weapons of mass
destruction. That's data. A given company either has or doesn't have
real earnings for the quarter. That's data. Teenage pregnancy is either
on the increase, or it's not. That's data. When data are
misrepresented, or ignored, there are consequences. Sometimes it's that
bad policy decisions are made. Sometimes it's that shareholders lose
money. Sometimes it's that an entire economy suffers. Sometimes it's
that people lose their lives and the world becomes a more dangerous
place.The consequences are never good, when data are not presented
honestly. That's why I care.
kt