Re: New Cyanotype

From: wrleigh@att.net
Date: 05/19/04-07:32:37 AM Z

Judy,

When you say the emulsion is too fresh, you said this is the A & B themselves. By this I assume you mean that A & B should be mixed and then let the bottles sit on the shelf for at least 3-4 days and not use them immediately. True?

I live in the Boston area and get my water from the Boston water system, which eventually comes from the Quabbin reservoir in the middle of the state. When I first started doing cyanotypes (traditional formula), I found that they looked great when they came out of the wash water and then the next morning when they were dry, the image was mottled and largely bleached out. On researching the Boston water, I found on their web site that

"MWRA now treats the water at the Interim Corrosion Control (ICC) facility with sodium carbonate (soda ash) and CO2 (carbon dioxide) to increase the pH and buffering capacity of the water. This has considerably reduced lead levels found when you first use your tap. Bi-monthly pH results are available in the Update. "

The MWRA also reports elsewhere that they have a target pH of 8.8 to 9.4 (http://www.mwra.com/monthly/wqupdate/pdf/wq2004apr20.pdf)

Following suggestions I had read on this list, and consulting with a chemist friend, I now add about 5 ml of 5% HCl to 2 liters of rinse water to neutralize the buffering. (I could easily use other acids, but I had 1 gal of muriatic acid for some toning experiments.) I find that my wash water is now ALWAYS deep blue, but my images are also a deeper blue, and they don't fade away on me. I am slowly experimenting with reducing the amount of acid. Also, my solutions have been sitting on my shelf for a few weeks, so it is not the case of them being too "young".

--
Bill Leigh
wrleigh@att.net