Re: dichromated colloids

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 05/20/04-02:31:22 AM Z

From: MARTINM <martinm@SoftHome.net>
Subject: Re: dichromated colloids
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 09:17:25 +0200

> Looking forward to hearing about that.

In short, I think the purity of PVA, especially in terms of per cent
-COOH in the long alcohol, kinda like mixed poly(vinyl alcohol/acrylic
acid) is the source of disagreeing results. Another possible impurity
might be a redox catalyst, like some transition metals. I think
Mannivanan, Lafond, and those groups pay some attention to the purity
of PVA, and some other studies were done with PVA containing some
impurities. One of their study says Cr(V) is stable in PVA. Then, it's
natural not to see Cr(III) absorptions right away.

> Do you see how those "-CHO aldehyde bits" contribute to Cr(III) formation?

Now you are talking about gelatin. In the case of gelatin, Cr(III)
bridge crosslinking is well documented. Aldehyde may be reduced by
other Cr(VI) as well, and I don't think it can be a major factor.

I'm not attached to gum in any way, but I think this is about time for
someone to run a series of analogous experiments with gum. I don't
know if holography community studies gum, but if not, I don't think
anyone is really interested in doing (or funding) it anyway.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"You have to realize that junk is not the problem in and of itself.