Re: New Cyanotype

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@uslink.net>
Date: 05/19/04-09:39:23 PM Z

Good morning!
     Judy writes at night, I write in the morning...
     Well, since I got my gum room started yesterday, I decided to do a
test; I coated 3 surfaces (Artistico cold, soft, hot) with both the
traditional cyanotype and the Ware's formula, so 6 prints in all under 2
different negatives, all printed exactly at 4 minutes under my Edwards UV
light box (traditional mixed 2A:1B).
     It's not the water, because I developed them all in the same bathtub
(wellwater). There was considerable running of the blue on the traditional,
and none on the Ware's. The Ware's looks different when exposed (it is
silver blue and navy vs. the traditional which is olive and greenish), the
Ware's is faster so 4 minutes with a digineg was overexposed.
     Today, the traditional is a nice, soft darker blue, the Ware's is a
deep, rich navy (also overexposed, tho).
     However, I noticed more running on 2 of the traditional prints, and my
guess is that the running is due to paper--type or surface, the coating
process, and how long the coated print dries, more than the water. So yes,
the absorbency of paper could well be more the culprit than the water.
     I'll keep working with these variables over the next month and see
whad'up.
     For what it is worth, I am thinking the blue of the traditional would
be much more suitable than the navy of the Ware's for doing gumovers, which
is what these are for.
     The other factor for preferring one or the other would be how they
tone; haven't done side by sides on that, but I know the traditional on
fabric with sodium carbonate and tannic acid gave an incredible rich coffee
red brown when I toned it this spring. I returned it briefly to the sod carb
after the tannic acid bath
Chris