Re: Steiglitz & O'Keeffe

From: PhotoGecko Austin ^lt;gecko@photogecko.com>
Date: 05/25/04-10:14:01 PM Z

LOL!

Judy, they are all projective instruments, aren't they--all these
photographs?

I happen to adore the one of Georgia's fingernails. . . . Sorry, but I
do!

And as for the clouds. . . . Well, I really *wanted* to get them, but I
didn't get them at all. They look like clouds, not at all like the
tormented brooding blood-letting orgies that I've experienced as
Emotions. I mean. . . gimme a break, Alfred. It may be a great cloud,
but it isn't angst or love or perplexity. . . . You know?

So we disagree, and then we agree again. I dunno. It's like a wise
one once asked, as I recall, very early on in PF-- Who gets to decide?

Having been some 50 years or so (give or take several decades along the
way) in life-- I *can* imagine traveling 2000 miles (because 3000 miles
is just too far to go) to get away from someone I'm (yet) passionate
about. . . . And then traveling back again. I can imagine (and this
was my point) Georgia defending the life's work of one she loved. And
so, as I read her comments about Steiglitz's work I wondered
(self-consciously, as I said) what she meant.

Like I said: I dunno.

This conversation reminds me of the heated exchange (or was it just
luke-warm?) on the list a couple of years ago about Ansel Adam and
zones and calendars and greeting cards. Who, I ask you, gets to decide?

The original question (which led to all this projection, for gosh
sakes) was: Is Photography Art?

I have seen plenty of paintings, sculptures, poems, ballets, etc.,
which were absolutely NOT, at all, art. (They just went Thud.) It
isn't about the media or genre or form-- It's about points of contact
in being human and alive and vulnerable and sometimes tragic but
occasionally hopeful. And some photographs do all that magnificently.
Those are art, IMHO. Although we might not agree. . . !

(Katherine will want to see for herself, of course. And we should
check in with Kevin Morris-- if he ever gets back in his office.)

Meanwhile--I still buy the USPS set of photography stamps. And I save
the Steigletz shot of Georgia's fingers for my best-intended envelopes.
  In fact! -- I believe I put one on the envelope that carried my PF
subscription to New York City!

Oy, vey.

;~>

Best regards,