Re: Everclear Alcohol and Gum

From: Tom Ferguson ^lt;tomf2468@pipeline.com>
Date: 05/27/04-02:15:08 PM Z

Here (after a few tests) is what I think I now know....

In the sizing (gelatin) either denatured or vodka (1:20) does "matte"
the look of the sizing a bit and help with an even coat (if brush
sizing). Vodka "may" limit staining better after a few coats (very very
similar). Vodka is ?grain? alcohol and denatured is ?wood? alcohol, so
it is believable that they would work different.

In the gum/color mix, vodka and denatured both help with an even brush
coating. I don't see anything else in the image or contrast. I simply
replaced 1/10 of my dichromate solution with alcohol (most folks are
suggesting that saturated Ammonium Dichromate isn't needed anyway).

I may try and get some other purer (150 proof?) rum or Everclear and
see if that does anything different. But, early results say that ease
of coating is the biggest advantage.

Tom Ferguson
http://www.ferguson-photo-design.com