RE: POP process

From: Gerry Giliberti ^lt;GGiliberti@controlotron.com>
Date: 11/08/04-08:53:28 AM Z

Donna,

I've been using printing out paper recently making enlarged negatives on my
Epson 2200. I've been exposing via the sun and sometimes with a simple UV
lamp. My exposures in the sun range from 8 minutes to 30 minutes depending
on the sky and clouds. (The lamp exposures are around 30-45 minutes.) I
expose the paper until it's very dark since you lose so much from toning and
fixing. I found that I like both the results of my standard 4x5 negatives
and my digital negatives but I haven't worked out controlling the gold
toning yet. I like the orange rust look of the untoned print more than the
cold toned gray/purple look of the gold toner. I found that 2 minutes in the
gold toner gives me a browner look than five minutes or more, which gives me
a gray/purple look. (It's all explained in the toner directions.) I'm using
the standard gold toner and hypo from Photo Formulary and purchased it along
with 8x10 POP paper from Chicago Albumen. (I have lots of Zone VI hypo
laying around that I never used so I'll use that when this hypo is done.
I'll probably make up my own gold toner later as well.) I read a great
article in a back issue of Post Factory Photography (#6?) about an artist
who has really great images on POP and a special way of toning that results
in a rose colored tone---but I don't have the info here at work. I'll look
for it at home. But printing as big as you're talking about though sounds a
bit scary to me.

In any case, I'm working on printing a bunch of images that I feel lend them
selves to the POP process. POP is a deceptively simple contact printing
technique that I find is just as difficult to create a great image in as any
other photo process. And it's fun.

Gerry