RE: POP process

From: Gerry Giliberti ^lt;GGiliberti@controlotron.com>
Date: 11/09/04-08:23:08 AM Z

Judy,

Thank you for reminding me which Post Factory issue it was. I got my 6s and
9s reversed.

[On Mon, 8 Nov 2004, Gerry Giliberti wrote:
> ....I read a great
> article in a back issue of Post Factory Photography (#6?) about an artist
> who has really great images on POP and a special way of toning that
results
> in a rose colored tone...]

[The article that comes to mind was in Post-Factory #9, John Yang and John
Dugdale. Judy]

On another note, I was privileged to attend a lecture by Mark Nelson last
night in Bridgehampton, NY. (I think he is staying on the East End of LI for
a month or so.) Although it was a very technical discussion for most, anyone
who decides to determine color density range control by printing a palladium
rainbow has my attention. I did find out that determining POP negative
density is not as exacting as his system for other types of alt negatives
since POP is an inspection type of process. (I purchased one of his 31 step
calibration strips and will begin doing some experiments with it.) Besides
an informative talk on his system Mark also showed some wonderful pt/pd work
of his own (male and female figures/nudes). In addition he passed around a
couple of palladium prints made by both a 5x7 negative and by one of his
digital negatives and it was very, very difficult to tell the difference.

One new wrinkle in the digital negative realm is its new relationship to
making photogravure plates using solar etching plates and microdot screens.
Mark said he is working on this and I can't wait to see the results since
this is an area that I like so much.