Re: tooth and no tooth

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 11/14/04-12:59:53 AM Z

From: Judy Seigel <jseigel@panix.com>
Subject: Re: tooth and no tooth
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 00:55:30 -0500 (EST)

> Katharine Thayer wrote;

> >.....very smooth papers still have considerable tooth, plenty
> > enough for gum to hang onto.They may appear to our normal vision to have
> > little tooth, but on microscopic inspection you would find all kinds of
> > hills and valleys in the surface for the atoms to find and latch onto.

> [...] But the paper I speak of doesn't show
> texture under a 10 power loupe, so could hardly be said to have "tooth."

Adhesions of the type that is discussed here are primarily determined
by intermolecular force, and geometry of the interface is only a small
part of the game. The first thing to look at is molecular structures
and how they could be attracted. Without this attraction, physical
contact at tooth, hills and valleys, won't make a strong adhesion.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"You have to realize that junk is not the problem in and of itself.