Re: Help with what I believe is a hardening issue but wasn't

From: ericawd ^lt;ericawd@memworld.com>
Date: 11/14/04-06:38:57 PM Z

As much as I have learned over the years about the importance of consistency
in time and temperature, I can't believe that the temperature of the sizing
escaped me. I am certain Ms. Mahoney was correct and that the gelatin was
indeed flaking off the paper which resulted in "inadequate sizing". It was
the "case of speckling was created by a student who was developing his
prints in scalding water" quote that really got me to thinking about the
temperature of the gelatin.

Katherine Thayer wrote on Friday, November 12, 2004 1:19 AM

    I agree with Judy and Kate; yes, I think heat is the problem. Having
    never done much sizing, I don't have a lot of experience in this area,
    but I do know that a couple of times when I got the gelatin too hot
    (both times by microwaving it) the sizing failed and made speckles in
    the prints. I'm not sure it matters what happens technically to the
    gelatin; what is important is that overheating the gelatin seems to lead
    to imperfect sizing, for whatever reason.

I couldn't put it better myself!