RE: Inkjet negatives and Van Dyke Brownprints

From: Joe Smigiel ^lt;jsmigiel@kvcc.edu>
Date: 11/19/04-07:29:00 AM Z

>>> dstevenbryant@mindspring.com 11/18/04 10:59 PM >>>

Have you printed a digital step wedge?

Don

Don,

I have printed a 101-step digital step wedge alongside Stouffer wedges
using both uncorrected and curve-corrected files. And, when I print the
pictorial test image files I have included a digital wedge running from
90-100% and another from 0-10% along with a 0-100% digital wedge running
in 5% increments. I also have left space on the test images to print 2
Stouffer wedges at the same time, one of which I cut off the bottom of
the print and later use as a comparator to identify how the other wedges
printed. Additionally, on these pictorial test images I have also
included a digital step wedge running from 0-100% in 10% increments but
I isolate this wedge from the curve application.

On the basis of the printed appearence of these wedges, I've derived my
curve but I'm obviously not satisfied with the results.

I've also read the transmission densities on the resultant
transparencies to identify which percentages of ink from the digital
wedges match up with the steps of the Stoffer wedge.

Joe