Re: formula needed: Gum Arabic from powder

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 11/24/04-09:26:07 PM Z

From: "T. E. Andersen" <postlister@microscopica.com>
Subject: Re: formula needed: Gum Arabic from powder
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 22:05:50 +0100

> In 1996 I made a batch of gum solution that I never got round to using.
> It contains approx 0.2% salicylic acid. It has been in the fridge most
> of the time, with some months now and then in room temperature. As far
> as I can tell, no fermentation or fungus has developed. I don't know if
> this is typical, but if it is, salicylic acid should definitely do the
> trick. It is also quite water soluble, so it should be washed out during
> processing. It is also safe to work with (you could even use it in your
> jam :-)!

Salicylic acid has well known bacteriostat effect, so that's what you
experienced. It's true that it is generally nontoxic at low doses, but
I think it is not allowed to use as a food additive in the U.S. But
this is the country where you order medium rare steak and you'll get
well done so you never know.

Salicylic acid is sparingly soluble in water but not that
soluble. However, it is soluble in alkaline water and methanol.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"People seldom do what they believe in.  They do what is convenient,