Re: What/how is Magnani Pescia sized with?

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 11/25/04-04:50:34 AM Z

Ryuji Suzuki wrote:

> I was trying my new sizing solution with Magnani Pescia and Rives BFK
> vis a vis, after seeing it working well on Artistico. Magnani seems
> reasonably sized but takes sizing solution well. Now I wonder what
> it's sized with in the factory. Does anyone know?

Ryuji,
I'll be like a politician and answer a different question than the one
you asked, since I don't know the answer to your question. That is, I
don't know what sizing is used, but I do know that whatever it is, the
paper is hardly sized at all. Some sources classify it as a waterleaf
(waterleaf being a paper with little or no sizing, making it very
absorbent but not always amenable to soaking (think blotters)) and the
Daniel Smith catalog says, "Because Pescia is very lightly sized, dampen
it with an atomizer rather than soaking."

I'm not surprised that it would soak up sizing well, as from my own
experience I'd say it's a very absorbent paper, although it prints gum
well. I have found it a very interesting paper to use with gum and
although it's never been my standard paper of choice, partly because the
surface does tend to abrade after long soaks, I always keep some around
because I like the way it prints. It prints fine detail very well, for
example.
Katharine Thayer