Re: Bienfang 538

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 11/28/04-07:12:33 PM Z

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004, Christina Z. Anderson wrote:
>> I picked up a pad of Bienfang No. 538 for my first attempts at Cyanotype
>> and
>> Gum Bichromate. It's acid free, ph neutral, 140lb. medium surface, cold
>> pressed. Is this an OK paper to start with? (I also picked up some BFK
>> Rives).

It's possible that the 538 is something different --and I can't offhand
think of the number of the Bienfang that used to be so popular for
platinum. But if this is like that, I'd not choose it for gum. In fact
I'd suggest you not start with it, because you'll give up immediately.
That Bienfang was a thin, almost translucent, parchment-like paper, just
about the opposite of the usual choices for gum.

Judy