Re: EDWARD S. CURTIS

From: Jack Fulton ^lt;jefulton1@comcast.net>
Date: 11/30/04-07:42:19 PM Z

  two processes that you/they get me the attention because I find
completely unknown. ORTON PROCESS AND VAN GELDER PROCESS. Does somebody
know these processes and can something explain on them?.

Edward Curtis used a number of methods to create his imagery: silver,
platinum,and the ones you mention. The Van Gelder process is not a
process, really, but a Dutch fine quality paper he printed on. He also
used Japanese vellum and a tissue paper. At the turn of the century it
was he and Alfred Steiglitz who used such fine quality papers for their
photographic output.

As for the Orotone, the root word here is "oro", which, in Spanish, is
gold. Hence, these were 'goldtone' prints. Curtis developed this
process to bring luminosity to his photograph, to make them glow, so to
speak. The photograph is printed in reverse on a sheet of glass and
then a backing of powdered gold pigment along with, apparently, banana
oil, was behind the image. This was all rather delicate and he designed
(I think) frames that were gilded with gold of course. It was a subdued
and elegant presentation of golden beauty.
Today, a few still emulate this process. One, in particular,Sally
Larsen, an accomplished surfer with a strong interest in martial arts,
creates photographs with a gold leaf backing somewhat similar to the
idea used by Curtis. Who, by the way, renamed his orotone as the
Curtistone.

Jack Fulton