addendum to Re: cyanotype question

From: Joe Smigiel ^lt;jsmigiel@kvcc.edu>
Date: 09/03/04-12:40:49 PM Z

Just thought I'd better add that I realize the emulsion may have a toe
and shoulder effect as well where the rate of density change is
increasing in the toe and decreasing in the shoulder. That would only
strengthen my interpretation of the observed effect being greater/faster
in the lower steps. My previous example assumed a straight line
response similar to the midtones of a typical characteristic curve.

Joe

>>> jsmigiel@kvcc.edu 09/03/04 2:12 PM >>>
Dave,

Can you cite the problem with my interpretation? I thought I was saying
the scale would shift upward at both the lower and upper end, just
moreso and faster at the lower end.

If we look at the steps, their corresponding densities and transmissions
this is what we have (approximately and I've rounded things a bit to
simplify...step 1 is actually 0.03 density and <100% transmission,
etc.):

Step 1, 0.00 density, 100% transmission
Step 3, 0.30 density, 50% transmission
Step 5, 0.60 density, 25% transmission
Step 7, 0.90 density, 12.5% transmission
Step 9, 1.20 density, 6.25% transmission
Step 11, 1.50 density, 3.1% transmission
Step 13, 1.80 density, 1.6% transmission

My thought was that if the 250 unit exposure was "correct" to get some
tone, say, max print density at step 1, then another identical
arithmetic increase unit exposure (250 units) would be sufficient to
produce the same tonal value (i.e., max d) at step 3 effectively
shifting the scale upward two steps at that point. However, up around
step 13, that arithmetic unit increase has an insignificant effect on
the resultant tone so that there is no perceived upward sliding of the
tonal scale at that point. Its going up a bit at that end, but not
enough to discriminate visually.

In the example, to get step 5 to max d would require 250 + 250 + 500
=1000 units.
Step 7 would need 2000 units (=250+250+500+1000) to achieve the same
tone, step 9, 4000 units, and step 11 would require 8,000 units. To
match at step 13 would require 16,000 units. As a result, the low end
is shifting much more rapidly than the high end as exposure is increased
(regardless of whether you talk of arithmetic or geometric exposure
units).

If I'm missing something here, please explain it in a bit more detail or
point me to a good reference so I can understand it better.

Thanks,

Joe

>>> fotodave@dsoemarko.us 09/03/04 12:31 PM >>>
Hi Joe,

Your interpretation of densitometry or log scale is not correct (no
offense
intended). If you double the exposure, the scale should shift up on both
lower and upper end. In hand-coated materials, sometimes it is not
exactly
like that because of many factors including mechanical factor
(repeatibility
issue) and visual factor (the low and high ends are toe and shoulder
region,
so when you shift, the change/difference might not be that visible).

But looking at your original data, I think the problem is something
else.
Could it be the warming-up factor of the exposure unit/light? You could
probably try warming the light up for about 5 minutes and repeat your
test
and see if there is any difference.

Dave S