Re: Statistics (was: Re: 55 minute download

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 09/04/04-11:35:55 AM Z

On Sat, 4 Sep 2004, Sandy King wrote:

> The statistics were brought up in response to Katharine Thayer's suggestion
> that people who use broad band service are elitists. They were not meant to
> convince anyone that they should adopt a particular service because it is
> sanctioned by the majority. However, the fact that a majority of internet
> users get their service via broad band versus dial-up debunks KT's uninformed
> notion that broad band users are elitists. I don't think it possible to be
> an elitist and a part of the majority on a specific issue.

Which majority? Let me refer you to a classic work, "How to Lie With
Statistics." If you factor in those who have no private Internet access
at all (in all or no part for reasons of cost), I daresay broad band are a
small minority.

Elitism aside, the majority is often wrong, we might even say *usually*
wrong. So let it be said that dial-up is available for $10 a month (or
$100 a year) and some may prefer to spend the difference for other
purposes than viewing unsolicited attachments larded with viruses. Let us
protect that choice (among others).

Judy