Re: PVA for gum printing

From: Robert Schaller ^lt;Robert@RobertSchaller.net>
Date: 09/06/04-11:35:05 AM Z

Dear Katherine,

    I indeed can't see why mylar would introduce any impurities, certainly
not water-soluble ones, and wouldn't these be the problem? I also want to
applaud your efforts in this, as it seems long overdue that someone conduct
this investigation in an orderly, scientific fashion. I wish I was set up
to do it. I am curious about how the investigation will proceed. What
tests exactly is the chemist planning to do? I get the impression that just
hardened gum (or PVA) will be tested first; what next? As I said, I am very
curious.
    Also, on the point of gum on hard surfaces. What about ( and this is
probably my question more than yours) getting gum to stick to polyacetate or
polyester (Kodak's 'Estar') film base? The issue seems related, in that it
is really asking, how do you get gum to stick to a non-water adhering
surface, be it rigid or flexible? I have cheated and used Kodak's already
adhered gelatin layer as a subbing layer,as it is already there and is
optically transparent, but this avoids the question. Obviously, Kodak et
al. know how to get gelatin to adhere -- what's their trick, and would it
work as well for gum? Does anyone have any methods, ideas, or suggestions?

    Robert Schaller