Re: How to translate log density readings to percent?

From: Loris Medici ^lt;loris_medici@mynet.com>
Date: 09/07/04-11:55:47 AM Z

Message
Dave, thanks for the contribution.

But how shall I see that I'm dealing with dmax if I don't map the hypothetical max density value of 95.32% to 100%?

I'm asking all this because I'm about to puchase a densitometer (which reads in log values - not percent) and want to figure out how I can use it to make the most correct adjustment curves for my digital negatives. AFAIK, I need to convert the log readings to percentages so that I can design curves in Photoshop. My approach was: the densitometers that read percent values can both set dmin (zeroing) and dmax boundaries in measurement, but the "normal" densitometers have only zeroing (no dmax preset). Therefore, I thought I should map dmax myself by means of calculation.

Thanks again,
Loris.