Re: How to translate log density readings to percent?

From: Loris Medici ^lt;loris_medici@mynet.com>
Date: 09/07/04-02:52:54 PM Z

Message
Thanks for the second answer.

Actually my primary intention is not to measure negative densities, but print densities (the 1.33 I was mentioning was the print's dmax, not negative's - for instance I remember S. Wang saying he gets around log 1.25 dmax with his double coated classic cyanotype prints, emulsion: 2A+1B, probably even gold toned vandykes or platinotypes don't go beyond 1.5 - 1.6 because of matte paper). I will use imagesetter negatives... I was planning to print a non adjusted 101 step tablet using a standard exposure time (which is the minimum exposure time to achive dmax of the emulsion/paper combination - determined by braketing exposure under clear transparency material - masking with fully exposed lith film; with a dmax figure not less than log 4 - probably around 5) and then reading densities of every patch so that I can "map screen/file densities to print densities". I thought this will give me the necessary values to design a "rough" curve (or "transfer function" if you like) and then I can repeat the cycle few more times (I guess this is the iteration you are mentioning) - from now on, applying the curve - for fine tuning (especially highlights). I think a densitometer will make all this struggle much more easier and precise (probably it will also serve to establish an exposure index/development time per process for large format in camera pinhole negatives - which is another story).

I know people are calibrating their inkjet printing systems (such as Piezography) using this method (or a very close one). Don't know, maybe I'm establishing a strategy which is completely wrong (because I misunderstood conversations between inkjet printer users @ DigitalB&WThePrint Yahoo group!?) or unappropiate for alt. process printing?

Regards,
Loris.