RE: Liquid Emulsion-Coating Problems

From: Rocky Boudreaux ^lt;rocky@pdq.net>
Date: 09/26/04-10:20:37 AM Z

Well I guess there are more ways then one to do things. I do
Platinum/Palladium, Cyanotype, I've done Albumen, Salt and probably a few I
forgot.

Three things:
1. I use the Edwards Rod with no problems. I converted after dropping a B&S
rod on the floor before coating a single sheet of paper. Bought a second
glass rod and used it with no problems for a while then retried the dropping
test and sure enough it too broke. Switched to the Edwards and it's been
several years. They both work, kind of like chocolate and vanilla ice cream,
take your choice.
2. You may wish to try food coloring in your coating mixture. I do this with
my B&W Silver chemistry so when I am interrupted by a phone call during the
process I know where I left off. Never tried it on liquid emulsion.
3. Ahh, the "magic brush". People swear by them. I just buy an expensive
nylon "water color wash brush". Width depends on size prints I will make.
The key is the diameter of the bristles, softness and the thickness of the
brush itself. Nylon doesn't absorb the fluid and spreading the mixture is
much like a watercolor wash application. Use it very wet. Cost is usually 2
or 3 dollars. If it doesn't work for you then pop for the more expensive
"magic brush". Works fine for me, and yes I have tried a friends "magic
brush".

Good luck maybe this will add to the discussion.

Rocky
Houston, TX