RE: No strong to survive....

From: Baird, Darryl ^lt;dbaird@umflint.edu>
Date: 09/26/04-10:14:26 PM Z

Sandy,

Yes, that's pretty much what we'd expect as the major players, break
apart, fold, sell-off, etc. There are always smaller players moving
into pick up the client base.

I think it begs the premise's foundation -- "as long as sheet film is
made." Of the film stocks fastest to disappear have been those in the
offset printing business, replaced by (first) laser or infrared
imaging films, then by direct-to-digital plates. Until it is practical
for small, high-quality print shops to completely move from film,
there is a market for film. The question is, who is using
continuous-tone sheet film and for what styles/types of imagery. I
don't know the market, but I'd imagine it is shrinking as the 22
megapixel backs reach their third generation using CMOS technology and
dropping in price. I think the price of sheet film is bound to
increase.

-Darryl

I like the collodion movement, but I don't have that kind of time to
pursue it full-time.