RE: photo chemistry in the classroom

From: Kate M ^lt;kateb@paradise.net.nz>
Date: 04/06/05-02:50:47 PM Z

Hi Barry, just off the top of my head, books to look at - "The Darkroom
Cookbook" and its companion, "The Film Developing Cookbook" HYPERLINK
"http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/104-9055732-333036
8"http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/104-9055732-33303
68
And also "Photographic Possibilities" HYPERLINK
"http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index%3Dstripbooks%
3Arelevance-above%26field-keywords%3DPhotographic%252520Possibilities%26
store-name%3Dbooks/104-9055732-3330368"http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos
/search-handle-url/index%3Dstripbooks%3Arelevance-above%26field-keywords
%3DPhotographic%252520Possibilities%26store-name%3Dbooks/104-9055732-333
0368
there should be enough information in those three for you to teach for a
couple of years! But seriously, as far as chemical safety goes, get the
appropriate technical information (safety sheets) for each chemical you
use and condense the information into something easily digested. I
always stress the use of lab coats (or old shirts) and rubber gloves.
When we're using U.V. lights for alt processes, I always make the class
wear safety glasses (prevents cataracts etc through radiation). I always
mix chemicals under a fume hood, and if necessary (as in sepia toning)
work under a fume hood as well.

I'd be inclined to teach the students cyanotype if you don't want to
bother with film etc, we use photocopies on OHP film for our negs with
junior classes (year one & two bachelor's degree).

You don't say if you'll be able to use safelight.....

cheers
Kate