Re: Environmental Impact

From: T. E. Andersen ^lt;postlister@microscopica.com>
Date: 04/08/05-04:15:32 AM Z

Bob Maxey wrote:
> do. But
> what is "a responsible recycling facility"?? In Saskatoon, about all that I
> know of is silver recovery from the fixer. I am sure I am not atypical in
> having a veritable storehouse of chemicals in my darkroom. In an ideal
> world, each one would need a separate disposable program to make the
> chemical acceptably benign to the environment. What are these other
> facilities??

This may be regarded as a political statement, but I still think it is
relevant to this topic;

If "responsible recycling facilities" are not to be found, I strongly
suggest trying to influence your local politicians to change that very
unfortunate situation. For most (or at least many) chemicals, the
technology is there, and there is really no excuse for not using it (in
particular in extremely rich countries like the US and here in Norway).
I spend my working days dealing with consequences of pollution. I
strongly believe that unless everyone of us takes responsibility, at the
very least for what goes into ones own sink, we will have no future on
this planet. The problem is the sum of all the minor releases of
contaminants.

Best regards,

Tom Einar