Re: new alt process--gelatin silver

From: Catherine Rogers ^lt;crogers@optusnet.com.au>
Date: 04/08/05-05:52:19 PM Z

Since we are on the subject of alt print identification - or lack of - I was wondering if someone could explain the various categories of carbon and carbro prints - monochrome and colour.

I have seen displayed what I had understand as being carbon transfer prints (monochrome) described as carbro, similarly colour carbon prints described as colour carbro (on labels by museum staff). My understanding of a carbro print was that a carbon tissue image was placed on top of the bromide print (hence the '...bro' ending of carbro), and that was quite a different thing to a carbon (transfer) print where the tissue image is placed onto a new piece of paper. So I was wondering how a colour carbon image can be a carbro print. It's ages since I made any carbon prints (1978 to be exact) - so I may be waaaay off track here.

thanks all
Catherine