Re: digineges/gelatin silver/printer comments and questions

From: Michael Koch-Schulte ^lt;mkochsch@shaw.ca>
Date: 04/10/05-01:11:20 PM Z

Chas,

I'm using Pictorico Hi Gloss White Film for silver printing using the R300
which is the little sister to the R800. The Epson inks for the R800 are
supposed to be pigmented not dye based BTW, therefore, you might need to use
pigment based inks or your output could be uncertain as the driver is
expecting pigment inks.
I use Glossy Photo for paper selection.
I use Photo RPM (aka 5760 DPI, Best photo is half that) and Microweave (only
accessible while in RPM mode).
I uncheck "high speed".
I use "Color" mode. More nozzles equals better printing. The reduction in
DMAX cause by color inks should be offset by the curve. My DMAX usually
measures just over 2, (~6 stops) which while not plenty, is enough.
With Pictorico HGWF I flip my image so it's sandwiched on the same side as
the silver paper.
The only grain I see is what was on the original film. I can see no
articfacts left by the printer. My printer is new.
The R800 R300 series don't have the ability to "lay down more ink" like the
1200 and 2000 series printers can. I don't know of a way around this, but
like I mentioned it doesn't matter because I believe the curve fixes this
inbinary.

~m