Re: Kosar's Top 10 Gum Facts Redux-Dark Hardening

From: stwang@nctv.com
Date: 04/11/05-06:57:52 PM Z

Chris,

>Candace,
>Dark reaction means no exposure--the gum hardens all over the paper without
>the presence of light. In MT I could keep ...
...snip...
>developing the last several which have had a longer time to sit around. But
>it is not enough of a problem to ruin prints.

At one time, way back, when I was using sun for exposure, invariably clouds would come over while my emulsion was
drying, so I had to put the dried paper in a plastic bag and store it in the fridge till next sunny day, maybe a week later, and
found that to work reasonably well.

Today I did the opposite, sort of. For a demo on Vandyke, I accelerated drying of the demo print by sticking it in the
microwave. It worked great, except that my grad assistant almost died of shock. I had to assure him that the old trick came
from Ansel.

Sam