RE: Pt./Pd. question acid pre-soak

From: Eric Neilsen ^lt;e.neilsen@worldnet.att.net>
Date: 08/08/05-11:24:16 PM Z

It is really a question of," Why does oxalic acid promote a higher Dmax for
PT/PD prints?" In what conditions? For both FO and AFO, RH factor, Paper
type?

If one is getting a higher dmax, and all other things being equal, than is
it that the oxalic acid is making the ferric oxalate somehow more accessible
to the process of conversion to ferrous and able to create more image?

Sandy, Citric acid is not used in the production of ferric oxalate, at least
not by me nor have I seen it listed in any text. I have however seen oxalic
acid used in production and was recommended in excess to help "preserve"
ferric oxalate and prevent in decay into ferrous. I'd look for an
interaction between the light converting ferric to ferrous and any role that
oxalic acid may have in those changes with the presence of UV light. Does it
hold true for both PT and PD?

I ran test when this was talked about years ago and found little to support
it. I did not run test on a large sample of papers. I also queried those
that made the claim to see if they could also just add some oxalic acid to
their ferric and achieve the same increase in dmax. I got no response.

Or is it simply a pH issue? Years ago Martin Axxon had suggested to me that
he felt a lower pH paper gave a better print with PT solution.

Eric Neilsen Photography
4101 Commerce Street
Suite 9
Dallas, TX 75226