Re: Direct Carbon PHOTOGRAPHY Wise

From: Grafist@aol.com
Date: 08/10/05-02:41:22 AM Z

Dear Art, Thank you so much for all of the following which more than answers
my interest in your Fresson involvement. It also explains your own concerns
with the Direct Carbon process and how you think it may be related to Fresson
technology. I also remember, clearly, when you enquired via the Shutterbugs
publication how you could obtain Fresson prints as your local photo store was
not offering a service for this. What year was that? 1992 or thereabouts?
You seem to have come a long way since then, that`s for sure. I really do wish
you more strength to your project and hope that, in the not too distant future,
we shall be able to purchase Direct Carbon paper, similar to that which was
made by the Fressons (and Luis Nadeau) but is no longer available.
                  When I was offering samples of my own Direct Carbon
printing to members of this list, several years back long before digital imaging
invaded the scene, I had only twenty replies from a list of about five hundred
people. After sending these free samples out very few of them even acknowledged
receipt of the prints and I decided then that there was no imediate future for
my research, at least, in the making of Direct carbon paper for the market.
Maybe the climate of interest has improved over the last six years, or so. My
resources have diminished but I am still doing my own work which is my
greatest reward.
         Thanks again. Please contact me off list if there is anything you
would NOT wish to be made public, at this stage.
                        Sincerely. John Grocott - Photographist.

> I will attempt to answer your questions but please feel free to contact me
> off-line if I missed the mark.
>
> My opinion of digital bromoil would be the same as digital Fresson . . .
> what's your point? If you want an inkjet or rather a pigment print, that's
> great as they can be very attractive as a straight photograph as well as an
> interpreted graphic when modified by the various effects possible in
> Photoshop. If you like the looks of an inkjet print processed with the
soon
> to be released Rembrandt 'Night Watch' Photoshop filter well have at it,
but
> you might take a trip Amsterdam to catch a glimpse of the original painting
> before day dreaming about future revenue.
>
> Speaking of disclosing information, I have presented/shared my work at
three
> different APIS meeting over the past 8 years. My printing process is made
> possible through the unique characteristics of a colloidal mixture of gum
> arabic and gelatin. Reference US patent 5,215,837 for specific
formula(and
> surefire cure for insomnia), example one can provide good results but keep
> in
> mind that I will defend my patent rights for any commercial application.
> Furthermore, in a period of time when I was unable to test/print I
satisfied
> my photographic appetite through having analytical testing done on samples
> of
> original Fresson printing papers (as furnished by Bill Foster who had
saved
> it from when he was an active Fresson printer) as well as Fresson
monochrome
> and color prints. Though my patent had already been issued, I was keenly
> interested in determining if I had truly discovered the Fresson secret
> process. The testing performed includes Optical Microscopy, Electron
> Microscopy (Cambridge S360 Scanning Electron Microscope SEM), Elemental
> Microanalysis (Link eXL Energy Dispersive X-Ray Spectrometer EDX), Infrared
> Spectroscopy (Mattson 5020 Fourier Transform Infrared Spectrometer FTIR),
> and
> Protein Identification (Amino Acid Profile by Acid Hydrolysis - classical
> ninhyroid post column). Those tests confirm that the Fresson chemistry
> utilizes the same gum arabic and gelatin mixture as I had discovered.
Hang