Re: Learning a new process

From: Dave Rose ^lt;cactuscowboy@bresnan.net>
Date: 08/13/05-10:34:22 PM Z

I recommend learning on your own. I taught myself gum and cyanotype
printing using the recipes in Crawford's The Keepers of Light. With a basic
knowledge of photography (I have an AAS degree in Commercial Photography) it
was relatively easy.

As for developing your own style and creating satisfying work, it just takes
time. I shoot primarily landscape and nature subjects. I find my best
photos come from going out hiking or exploring in my Jeep, without any
preconceived idea of what I'll be shooting. I just walk around and look.
If something 'grabs me', I'll shoot it. I never shoot thinking about
commercial possibilities, selling prints, etc..... I photograph purely for
my own pleasure and satisfaction. I earn a nice income from a sales career,
so I don't have any pressure to sell my work. That's the way I like it.

Best regards from Wyoming,
Dave Rose
Leaving tomorrow to climb Cloud Peak, the third highest point in Wyoming.
http://www.alternativephotography.com/artists/dave_rose.html