Re: I'm looking for inspiration!

From: kris ^lt;kris@eq-photo.com>
Date: 08/14/05-08:55:38 AM Z

i'll keep this short;
i will immediately disagree with a couple of things people have
said--not to be "difficult" but (hopefully) to challenge some
commonsense notions of "creativity" with alternative considerations that
are, well, creative

first of all, David:
> (I don’t really have anything to ‘express’)
in *parentheses* nonetheless! I would disagree--everyone has something
to express, yet many are stymied by a certain peculiar notion of what
"expression" or "expressiveness" may mean. You later say you want to
work with 10"x4" --that's a pretty particular format (panorama/landscape
rather than vertical, i assume). How can you rope that in to your
expressiveness? WHY do you want to work with it? (I personally love to
work with squares, and when i work with 35mm, i tend to compose for
something to print more like 4x5", shortening up the 35mm frame). In
there you are bound to find something you want to express.

next Mark Nelson:
> I think the most successful way of identifying a theme is to sit and
think.
This, to me, is a matter of semantics. "Thinking" can occur without
sitting, in my humble opinion, but with camera in hand, or with
chemistry on paper, trying things, experimenting. Rather than sitting
and thinking, I believe producing "a body of work" is an iterative
process. Determining what you want to photograph, trying to think it
through while photographing, then seeing what you get when you print.
Then going back to what you /wanted/ to photograph, asking yourself
whether you actually did that, and then photographing some more. Then
printing some more, editing, selecting, reshooting, reprinting...
FINALLY, of course, you have to give it up and walk away from it. But
hopefully not before you've come away with something you can be happy with.

Finally, i believe in something called "negative pedagogy". Applied to
this conversation, it amounts to photographing and printing exactly the
opposite of that which you want to photograph--or those persons, things,
situations, events that you would *never dream* of photographing.
With nudes, for example, you might photograph everything but nudity:
barriers to the skin like clothes, screens, windows, doors, etc. Just
*how* you conceive whatever your idea of "opposite" is in terms of what
you want to photograph will help you pinpoint what is at the heart of
what you really want to produce... and hopefully why.

take a look at my website if you like:
http://eq-photo.com/portfolio/
I'd be happy to talk to you (or anyone else) about any of the work there
in these terms (or, really, in any terms!)

and PS. thanks for opening this thread; i think that discussion like
this is very valuable on this list, and should occupy more of it's threads.

best,
kris