RE: Sources for wet plate collodion chemicals

From: D. Mark Andrews ^lt;mark@dragonbones.com>
Date: 08/30/05-08:36:19 AM Z

I have over a 100 tintypes that I picked up on eBay over the past couple of
years and they run the gamut from a piece of metal that looked like it was
sized with a meat cleaver with a crummy image to stunning portraits--most
were from the same 20-40 year period. You can see this in tintype photo
albums with the images changing in quality like a roller coaster over time.
My hunch continues to be that the differences are primarily quality issues
with the chemistry and practitioner.

You may already be aware the term "tintype" was pejorative in the 19th
century. It implied a hastily made image of low quality--usually by an
itinerant photographer. Whether this is "true" or simply a campaign by the
portrait artists is up for argument. There has been some written on this
topic. The best I can tell from the images I come across is similar to my
statement above. Some were created by very good photographers who knew their
craft and others were photographer-hacks. Some things never change :-)

BTW, I find it ironic that these images are one of the most expensive types
of images to reproduce today.

Mark