Re: Autoclaving gum and gelatin

From: Sandy King ^lt;sanking@clemson.edu>
Date: 02/06/05-09:57:34 PM Z

Judy Seigel wrote:

>I don't understand what you mean by "the function, which appears to
>be the ability of gelatin to change states." EVERYTHING changes
>states. Milk changes states when you boil it, or when you add lemon
>juice, upon which it curdles and/or turns into cottage cheese...
>Meat changes states when you cook it...etc. I'm changing states too
>-- to a state of exasperation
>(or Connecticut).

No need to change to a state of exasperation just because we
disagree. After all, I am sure that we are in agreement that some
extreme of temperature, or repeated cycles of heating and cooling,
will break gelatin down.

As for the change of state, what I refer to is the ability of gelatin
to absorb water and swell, and when heated, reach a melting point and
form a colloid, then to set again when allowed to cool. So long as a
gelatin solution is capable of changing between these two states it
should be good for both gum bichromate and carbon use, IMHO. If the
gelatin looses its ability to set, either from very extreme
temperatures, being held at a high temperature for a long time, or
from repeated cycles of heating and cooling, it will lose its ability
to set. This will make it useless for both carbon and gum bichromate.

Sandy