RE: Cyanotype blotches

From: Loris Medici ^lt;loris_medici@mynet.com>
Date: 02/18/05-08:14:26 AM Z

Hi Michael, I'm glad that you managed to locate the source of the
problem.

* I coat the papers in an air conditioned room.
* I wait around 2 - 3 minutes (or until the paper doesn't look shiny
when looking from an oblique angle) to let the paper soak up the
emulsion.
* Then, I use a cold air fan in order to circulate fresh/unmoistened air
around the papers. For 25 - 30 minutes.
* Then I start to print.

I printed classic cyanotype coated papers as old as 1 week (stored in a
simple light-tight cardboard box) with no adverse effects (well, frankly
I experienced very slight contrast decrease and highlight yellowing with
these "old" papers but it was very subtle and definitely not disturbing
to my eyes). I'm sure if I had stored the coated papers in an
"air-tight" + light-tight box which include some sort of desiccant I
would manage to store the papers much longer (maybe a month?) without
ill effects. I never tried to age cyanotype 2 coated papers so I cannot
comment on how much they last before going bad.

Hope this helps,
Loris.