Re: Adhesion

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 02/22/05-09:52:30 AM Z

From: MARTINM <martinm@SoftHome.net>
Subject: Re: Adhesion
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 12:37:51 +0100

> > Do you have a reference for this? (Or your own data?)
> > The ionized state of the amino group of 3-apes
> > (3-aminopropyltriethoxysilane) is critically involved in the adhesion.
> > So are the ionization profile of amino and carboxyl groups in
> > gelatin. These are all pH dependent.
>
> ... but probably not relevant at the pH range prior to coating.

I wouldn't assume that. Based on what's written about 3-AEPS in
histological literature, my guess is that that particular silane
doesn't help adhesion of gelatin at an ordinary coating pH. (That
silane is sometimes used to mount/adhere specimen on microscope
slides. People around me use chrome gelatin instead, partly because
the specimen is often buffered at pH of 7.4.)

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Well, believing is all right, just don't let the wrong people know