Re: Removing Cyanotype Solution from a Stouffer Wedge

From: Stouffer ^lt;info@stouffer.net>
Date: 02/26/05-08:55:12 AM Z

The density will change from heavy use, oily fingerprints, scratches and so
on. All of our step wedges are processed to archival quality. We do our best
to make sure a step wedge will last. We have step wedges from the 60's and
70's that are put away, well, and sometimes forgotten. I'll come across them
now and then, looking for something else usually, and get them out to read
them on the densitometer. Their are still in excellent shape for their age
and will still be within our density tolerances. They will vary slightly
from the original readings but that is mainly due to densitometer variations
through the years and ANSI standards changing over time. A Stouffer step
wedge would last forever if it were never used:) It's the pesky handling and
use that will make a step wedge go bad. But we like it when people use and
abuse them.

The best thing a person can do is to use gloves when handling one, keep it
stored in the envelope it came in, keep any chemicals away from it, and only
clean it with a soft lent-free cloth or camel hair brush. Those things will
extend the life a step wedge.

Kevin Morris
Stouffer Industries