RE: what I've learned about cyanotype thru PDN

From: Loris Medici ^lt;loris_medici@mynet.com>
Date: 06/05/05-03:13:19 AM Z

Hi Christina, thanks for sharing your experience.

I always thought that the lavender color is connected to the alkalinity of
the paper. The more alkaline the paper, the more lavender color you get. I
say this accoding to my experience with ammonia bleach - tannic acid toning.
When you place the cyanotype in ammonia solution the color turns to lavender
first and then the alkaline solution bleach the print starting from the
highlights.

In my understanding the speed should be faster when the "paper" is more
moistened - because more iron(III) ions are free to act as a sensitizer. The
constast also should be lower - because the emulsion is more sensitive to
light. And if the paper is more dry then there would be less free iron(III)
ions, therefore less speed and more contrast.

I'm not saying that what I say is concrete and exactly true. This is just
what I concluded according my observations. If I'm saying something wrong
correct me please.

Regards,
Loris.