Opera by Winsor & Newton (was Re: Why Winsor & Newton?

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 06/08/05-02:56:38 AM Z

Hi All,

Yesterday I received a complimentary tube of Winsor & Newton's "opera
rose," which is an apparent attempt to piggyback on the popularity of
Holbein's less-than-lightfast "Opera."

Winsor & Newton is cagey about the mystery pigment in this paint
(MacEvoy designates it as BV 10? with a question mark) but its
description as "fluorescent dye" and its position in front of the list
of pigments would in themselves give me pause, without knowing anything
more specific about the pigment. Like food products, the ingredients in
paints are supposed to be listed in order of their magnitude, so we can
assume there is more fluorescent dye in this paint than there is PR
122. It's a really luscious fuschia, but I wouldn't trust it to last
past Christmas. It's too new to have been tested by independent testers,
and I don't see a lightfast rating on the tube, but watch for a B
rating, or maybe even an A rating, from Winsor & Newton.

In the earlier discussion about Holbein's "opera", (see below if you
want a review) I mentioned that Page gave the manufacturer's lightfast
rating as "moderate," which I took (falling right into the intended
perception manipulation, even though I should know better) to mean
somewhere in the middle. But in looking for something else, I discovered
that Holbein has done the same thing as Winsor & Newton with the
lightfast ratings. Apparently their scale goes from three asterisks to
one asterisk, and the one-asterisk category, where "opera" was placed by
its own manufacturer, is called "moderate." So, to state the obvious
again-- in Holbein's rating scale, as in W&N's scale, a fugitive paint
can get no lower a rating than "moderate" or "moderately durable." This
kind of stuff makes me nuts.

Katharine

Katharine Thayer wrote: (June 1)