FW: Dry plate ferrotypes?

From: Best, Dianne ^lt;dbest@hydro.mb.ca>
Date: 06/16/05-10:16:38 AM Z

        Christopher wrote: " From your description (and without seeing
the images) what you saw were probably tintypes made with the wet plate
collodion process. "

        I am 90% sure that these were dry plate. Whatever method the
photographer used to spread the emulsion left the same kind of patterns
that my brushed-on emulsion does - not filled out right to the edges,
somewhat thicker toward one edge of the plate, somewhat scalloped or
irregular along the edge of the emulsion. There is no hint of any kind
of a wash outside of the coated areas. The time period of 1880s also
fits with the early days of the dry plate process. Maybe I am wrong but
I don't suspect so.

         "There are a fair number of collodion photographers who
specialize in making tintypes for the public. "

        Yes, I know. I may try that one day.

         " Try doing a Google search for "Collodion," or for "Tintype
Photography" and you'll be amazed (some more!). "

        I have spent days poking thru the online resources and will
undoubtedly spend many more days researching what others have done.

        Thanks for the comments Christopher.

        Dianne