Re: Liquid Emulsion on Acrylglas...

From: davidhatton ^lt;davidhatton@superonline.com>
Date: 06/18/05-06:29:51 AM Z

Hi,

this is from the rockland colloid website
/

      Gelatin Precoat (Subbing)

/

/This is a traditional process for making photographic emulsions like
Liquid Light and Ag-Plus stick to glass and glazed ceramics. It consists
of an extremely thin layer of gelatin coated on chemically-cleaned
glass. Liquid Light bonds to this thin layer, fusing with the glass so
that the image seems to be virtually embedded in the glass or ceramic
surface. Is it worth the extra effort?/

/Subbing is more time-consuming than using glossy varnish. However, the
materials for the process are easily available at grocery stores, and
the extra effort pays off with the enhanced appearance of the print. /

/What materials should be "subbed"? The process is only for vitreous
materials like glass, glazed ceramics, fired porcelain, natural rocks,
marble, etc. On glass-resembling plastics like Lucite and Plexiglas, as
well as on highly-porous materials like unglazed ceramics and plaster,
do not use subbing; use glossy polyurethane varnish, following the
instructions enclosed with Liquid Light./

/Materials needed:
You will need some unflavored gelatin such as Knox, sold at grocery
stores, plus some powdered laundry detergent (do not use soap or
dishwasher detergent, which leave a waxy film). Sprinkle one level
teaspoon (approx. 3 grams) of gelatin onto the surface of one pint (450
cc's) of cold water in a saucepan. Let it stand 15 minutes to swell the
gelatin, then heat with stirring until the gelatin is dissolved
(140º-160º F or 45º-56º C.)/

/Procedure:
Scrub and rinse the glass or ceramic (wearing rubber gloves) until the
rinse water does not bead up as it drains off the glass but leaves a
uniform, nearly- invisible film. Pour some of the hot gelatin mixture
onto the glass, drain well and dry overnight in a warm place with low
humidity and circulating air. (The remainder of the gelatin-water
solution can be discarded.)/

/Coating with emulsion:
The glass is now "subbed" and can be coated with emulsion. Pour a
surplus of Liquid Light on the glass, tilt to spread, and pour the
surplus back in the bottle. Set the glass or ceramic on a level surface
with cool circulating air to speed setting and drying. The glass can be
exposed while the Liquid Light is still damp or dried thoroughly and
saved for future use. /

/*
<http://www.rockaloid.com/instruc1.html#TABLE>*/