Re: Hardening salted paper and potassium dichromate

From: Fabiano Busdraghi ^lt;fabusdr@yahoo.it>
Date: 06/20/05-09:45:53 AM Z

> I don't harden the size for salted paper.

thank you, this is a first answer.

> In my experience, salted paper is the least contrasty of all processes. It
> handles incredibly hard negatives, too hard for any non-alternative silver
> paper. It can find detail in the deepest shadows (through self-masking)
> without losing the most subtle highlight.
> I would try to produce a negative that suits the range of salted paper,
> instead of trying to make your sensitizer suit your negative.

I agree: whit traditional negatives I do it, but with pdn is impossible if
the contrast is too low, like in the case of salted paper.
I cite from the book because it explain better than i can do:
"If the test print of the Color Density Range Palette fails to yield any
square or swatch printing paper white, then the Exposure Scale of the
chemistry mix is too long for the Color Density Range Potential of the
printer’s ink set or output device. Should this occur, the Exposure Scale of
the process should be reduced by using a slightly higher contrast mix.
Reprinting the Color Density Range Palette with this higher contrast mix will
indicate if the change in contrast is enough to provide a few squares of
paper white with the printed Color Density Range Palette. If not, increase
the contrast mix a little more."
using no dichromate it does not work, and for this reason I increased the
contrast. this work fine, and I'm happy with the result.
my questions are: have I to harden size for salted paper (you say not) and
can y use hardener with paper coated with potassium dichromate?
thank you for your contribution
ciao
fabiano

HOME PAGE: http://fabiano.agriturismo-diavolino.com
GuIT, TeX, LaTeX: http://www.guit.sssup.it

Yahoo! Messenger: chiamate gratuite in tutto il mondo
http://it.beta.messenger.yahoo.com