Re: Archival CDs-more

From: Richard Knoppow ^lt;dickburk@ix.netcom.com>
Date: 06/24/05-10:36:55 PM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert W. Schramm" <schrammrus@hotmail.com>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca>
Sent: Friday, June 24, 2005 8:32 PM
Subject: RE: Archival CDs-more

> Just found this in a pile of papers. It is a note to
> myself on the latests results of testing, but again
> this does not apply to the archival gold CDs.
>
> The National Institute of Standards and Technology NIST
> only rates ordinary CDs and DVDs at 30 years under
> archival conditions which are;
>
> Temperature between 20oC and 4oC Relative Humidity 20 -50
> %
> Ideal Conditions: 18oC 40% Rel. Humid.
>
> Keep away from : sunlight or strong UV light , rapid
> temperature changes, excessive humidity,
> fingerprints, magic markers etc. and store upright.
>
> Bob Schramm
>

> Check out my web page at:
>
> http://www.SchrammStudio.com

   Are these commercially made CD's or writable and
re-writable ones? I thought the standard ones had longer
life because the information on them is in the form of
physial pits on the coated surface. The others have dye
images, I am not surprized if its those that have the short
life,especially the re-writable ones.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA