RE: How to Clean a CD....

From: Schuyler Grace ^lt;schuyler@bellsouth.net>
Date: 06/26/05-01:15:24 PM Z

Personally, I would not trust a thumbdrive (the little keychain doohickey)
more than a CD or DVD or even your hard drive. The thumbdrive is an
electronic storage medium, like the memory in your PC, so it's subject to
being corrupted by strong electromagnetic signals. CDs and DVDs (for the
most part) are mechanical--something is physically changed on the disc to
record data, and especially on record-once media, it isn't as easy to
corrupt the recording. A hard or floppy drive is somewhere in-between the
two.

That said, you really should keep multiple copies of anything that's
important and irreplaceable. You should also periodically verify the
condition of your backups and keep at least one set physically isolated from
the originals and/or other backup(s). It doesn't matter if your backups are
on film or discs, if they are all together with your originals and a
disaster strikes, everything is at risk. And if you don't periodically
check on the backups' condition--again, no matter the sort of backup--they
may not be usable when you need them.

So, you need to figure out how valuable your originals are (not necessarily
their value in $$), make backups of the ones you need to, use pretty much
any backup medium you have available that is adequate in size to store the
information, store really important backups off site, and check the
viability of your backups periodically (and before you need them).

In reality, the argument over which of our current digital media is archival
over a period of more than five or ten years is moot--in that amount of
time, readers (hardware and software) for current media will probably be
difficult to find or use. And 25, 50, or 100 years from now, the only thing
you'll really be able to count on for a good backup is a film or print
image.

Boy, I'm glad I don't do IT work any more!

-Schuyler