SAFE URETHANE OR VARNISH?

From: Bob Kiss ^lt;bobkiss@caribsurf.com>
Date: 03/02/05-10:47:06 AM Z

DEAR LIST,
    This may sound off topic but not far. I just got two great wood flat
files in which I hope to keep my alt prints and 100% cotton papers. They
are made of plywood. What worries me is that I know I shouldn't put prints
or papers near raw plywood inside the drawers. I am hoping that I can seal
them with a urethane or other varnish to provide a barrier between the acids
and lignin in the plywood and the prints/papers.
    Please suggest which type of varnish is best (archival?) for this
purpose.
        Thanks!
            CHEERS!
                    BOB