Re: Dry Plate Speed & Shelflife

From: MARTINM ^lt;martinm@SoftHome.net>
Date: 03/05/05-02:47:01 AM Z

> In conventional emulsion, large grains refer to 1 micron or larger in
> diameter. Can you make grains that big by bathing method?

Have you read the paragraph I quoted from Glafkidès' book? A quick
translation from http://babelfish.altavista.com/ might do the job.

> What's your definition of ultrafine?

Uniform grains, smaller than 30nm.

> Modern emulsion chemists have a list
> of chemicals that can be used to inhibit growth of grains.

That's a bit of a grey area. Curiously, despite of heavy use of grain growth
inhibing agents, big players like Kodak, Agfa,
Ilford, Konica failed to produce such ultrafine emulsions.

> Can you speak in terms of lux seconds of exposure?

Unfortunately, we have radiometric measures (W/sq cm). They can't be
converted into photometric measures.

> If you are saying you can make very usable plates of ASA speed 10-50
> by bathing method, I would like to see how.

The method introduced by Glafkidès may produce layers in the 10 ASA area. If
you added reduction sensitization, I guess you'd easily get 50 ASA.

Martin