Re: jewelia one last time.

From: John Ptak ^lt;3legskilled@thesciencebookstore.com>
Date: 03/10/05-11:55:08 AM Z

Ms. Segiel,

In general the defense of an argued position is tainted through an offense
of personal attack--in this, reason flies and debate leaves. For example,
somewhere in your last post you've comfortably labeled me a sexist because
I took issue with your post--since you are a female and I'm a male, and
since I have not had any issues with a male's post on this list, I am
therefore, in your public reasonings, a "sexist". Fair debate is not much
of an option given the invention of such an accommodating and personal
criterion of validity. One (dictionary) definition of "sexist" is found as
follows: "Attitudes, conditions, or behaviors that promote stereotyping of
social roles based on gender", which, I thought, was the root cause of my
own original post.

So far as I can tell the people who have responded to this bit on Jewelia
have done so with civility, or, at the very least, calm. I think that if a
person attempts to deflect reasoning via personal attack then the most
common courtesy would be to do so off-list, as there really is no gain in
that arena.

Finally, again returning to the original quote of Ms. Segiel, I continue to
have no ambivalence about it being derogatory to a person and to a group of
people. How I could have come to this conclusion while being "inhibited",
as has been written, is unknown. I find the original remark offending and
offensive. Personal remarks made against other contributors to this thread
in its subsequent defense I find valueless.

John Ptak

JF Ptak Science Books, LLC
&
Longstreet Antiquarian Maps & Prints, LLC
8 Biltmore Ave
Asheville NC 28801 USA