Re: Coming Out of the Closet

From: Photogecko Austin ^lt;gecko@photogecko.com>
Date: 03/11/05-09:38:18 PM Z

Nice work, Chris. . . .

Accidently boiled gelatin and Accidently Boiled Life. Sometimes
there's just no controlling what happens, you know? It just happens
when you're not looking and spills all over the place and you deal with
it, right? (. . . . don't get me started. . . . ).

(Personal aside: In the family therapy program I supervised a number
of years ago we held the following definition: "Normal Family; a
family configuration which has not yet been clinically assessed." It
was intended as a joke. . . . but it showed up on Masters and Doctoral
level student exams as truth.)

"Overshare," or whatever aside, I'm grateful that at least one other
member of the group (and there are more, I suspect) is actually human
and boils her JelloLife and is yet alive to report. Really,
significant life events DO have effects on the work we do. Every form
of quantitative (qualitative, even better) research allows for
contextual variables. I mean, being in love or in grief or in anger or
in angst or in perplexity or in uncertainty or in poverty or in
psychosis (or in the advent of a mate's 30 year-old progeny. . . .
whatever) -- there are effects in the art . . . . Yes? Or, at least,
we work the art in the context of real life boiling over, right? I
would hope so.

Thanks Chris. Let the floods roll.

Best to all,
John