Re: Fibber McGee's Closet

From: William Ewing ^lt;will@goldtel.net>
Date: 03/12/05-12:12:38 PM Z

Sandy King wrote:

> Let me begin this message with a request to Grodon to remove my name
> as one of the list minders of this list. I do so that any comments I
> may make here, and in the future, will be seen as purely my own and
> not as official thought.
>
> I had not expected to write any more about this but changed my mind
> after this latest missive from Judy.
>
> I must acknowledge that Judy's comments about Jewelia would most
> likely not have caused me to become involved in this discussion. What
> determined that for me was her nasty response to Mr. Ptak, in which
> she ended up suggesting that he was a sexist because he complained
> about her remarks and not those of other males. So for the purpose of
> further comments by me Jewelia is not an issue. The issue is Judy's
> lack of civility.
>
> I have been a member of this list for a very long time, during which I
> have both contributed knowledge and experience and benefited from the
> knowledge and experience of others. If anyone cares to go back through
> the archives and look at my messages they will find that a very high
> percentage of them are on-topic dealing with alternative photography.
> I have my faults and one might also find a few examples of bad
> behavior on my part, with both males and females, some of which led to
> unfortunate exchanges that I regret. One in particular with Kerik
> Kouklis comes to mind, along with quite a number with Judy.
> What do we find if we look at Judy's contributions to this list? Well,
> we certainly find a great number of on-topic messages that have
> contributed much to the list. However, one also finds a great number
> of messages that that have nothing to do with alternative photography,
> the so-called prattle discussions.. And then there are the constant
> put-downs of list members, such as the gratuitous and nasty attack
> this week of Mr. Ptak, many which end with Judy calling the person a
> sexist. She has also repeatedly abused the list by insisting on
> discussing political and social issues that have nothing to do with
> the list, and this has also created long-term hostilities. Who can
> ever forget her post-9/11 diatribe. And then there are the endless
> quarrels and spats, so many that they are legend. And how many people
> knowledge and experience about alternative photography have left this
> list or refuse to engage with it because of her? Many, by my count. As
> for her whining that people have called her names and not been rebuked
> for doing so, I agree that this should stop. Ryuji should not have
> called her a cockroach. However, as for more recent comments that have
> referred to her rudeness, rancor, obnoxious attitude and sexist rants,
> that is not name calling in my opinion. It is, to be blunt, calling a
> spade a spade.
>
> Judy has been, by my estimation, at the center of 90% or more of the
> spats and quarrels on this list over the period of time that I have
> [...]
Hey Sandy, I watch this forum...even though I don't often say much. I
have to say, Judy does come up as an agressive social commentator...took
me about three days of reading the forum to figure that one out. I
think there has been a lot of off topic stuff on this forum...but then I
figured everone knew each other well (and that I was an outsider) so I
chalked it up to that. I think you are on the mark...

Will