RE: Actual photograph

From: Baird, Darryl ^lt;dbaird@umflint.edu>
Date: 03/17/05-10:22:40 AM Z

While studying and researching the origins of picture-making, I've
come to realize we photographers have gotten this concept all wrong.
We don't make photographs, we make pictures. The photograph is a
medium, the camera a tool, and the print a representation or
reproduction.

The past is just that -- the past. Film has passed or is in passing.
To create distinctions between pro and amateur, silver-gelatin and
inkjet, or raster versus halide is really too thin a slice to
ultimately matter in a historical version of our times. It won't
matter much, yet we will draw those distinctions and we will create
our clubs, societies, and listservs to continue our disctintion. That
to me is more interesting than this current dialogue. It's what we
actually do as artists that really counts, not the materials or the
tools... unless you're an earthwork artist.

www.re-picture.info (Re-Picturing the Picturesque) -- my new project
about a history of making pictures

-Darryl Baird