Re: Restoration of the tri-color camera. An update.

From: Peter Marshall ^lt;petermarshall@cix.co.uk>
Date: 03/18/05-04:35:59 PM Z

Allan Connery wrote:
> Speaking of Photoshop and in-camera separations, have a look at
> www.loc.gov/exhibits/empire/
>
> It's an amazing display of color photographs taken in pre-Revolutionary
> Russia (1909-1912 and 1915) by Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii.
>
> Using a special camera, he took three shots of a scene in quick
> succession through red, green and blue filters. All three shots were
> recorded on one plate. A positive from the plate was displayed through a
> three-lens projector with the appropriate filters.
>
> His negatives found their way to the U.S. Library of Congress, which
> used Photoshop to enhance the images and assemble the separations into
> full-color images.
>
> Some of the results are just amazing. I'm especially fond of a portrait
> of the Emir of Bukhara.
>
> A 5x7 three-shot camera, plus with Photoshop and Sandy's carbro color
> skills, sounds like a formidable combination.
>
> Allan Connery

Prokudin-Gorskii took out an English patent for a camera that took 3
simultaneous images using two semi-transparent mirrors to split the
light coming into the camera, which had 3 lenses. This is described in J
S Friedman's 'History of Color Photography' (p54), and I think it is
more than likely that this method was used to make the portraits.

Regards,

--
Peter Marshall
petermarshall@cix.co.uk     +44 (0)1784 456474